×

Please verify

Watch LIVE

Ukrainian officials believe Russia is planning a terrorist attack at Chernobyl

News
Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Ukrainian officials believe that Russia is preparing to launch an attack at Chernobyl.

In a lengthy Facebook post, the Main Intelligence Directorate of Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense warned that Russian President Vladimir Putin is “stockpiling” the corpses of Ukrainian soldiers to justify a “false flag” attack on the power plant.

Business Insider reported that Ukrainian officials claim that Russian forces are using car refrigerators to collect the corpses of dead Ukrainian soldiers.

The Ukrainian officials warned that Russia is planning to stage a “man-made catastrophe” at the power plant and might use the dead Ukrainian soldiers as props. Ukrainian officials believe the Russian military will stage the corpses so that they appear to be “killed saboteurs.”

Shortly after Russian forces began the invasion of Ukraine, they seized control of the infamous Chernobyl power plant and 20 miles of surrounding land that serves as a buffer zone.

The facility continues to be operated by Ukrainian workers. The BBC reported that more than 100 Ukrainian citizens have been stuck living on-site since the Russian invasion.

Despite no longer functioning as nuclear power plant, the Chernobyl facilities still require constant management and employs a work force of more than 2,000 people including scientists, technicians, cooks, medics, and more.

The workers stuck on-site are forced to live in temporary dorms within the powerplant’s facilities and have refused deliveries of food from Russian personnel, believing it to be a propaganda stunt.

On Wednesday, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said it unexpectedly lost remote contact with the Chernobyl site. The IAEA’s announcement came one day after Russian forces damaged a power line connected to the facility.

Ukrainian officials warn that there is only a two-day supply of diesel fuel left on-site to power the Chernobyl facility’s emergency generators. They also said that Russian forces refuse to let the repairmen and engineers enter the facility.

The officials allege that the Russians are relying on “Belarusian specialists” and that the Russians are planning a terrorist attack while working undercover at the site.

The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry has not provided evidence for these claims.

The allegations of a pending terrorist attack come as the United States sounded the alarm over the possibility of Russian forces using chemical weapons in Ukraine.

Last week, White House press secretary warned of a possible “false flag” attack by Russian forces. Psaki alleged that the Russians might use chemical or biological weapons in this attack.

She said that the proliferation of “disinformation” online might provide the Russian military a pretense for launching this attack.

Psaki said, “It’s the kind of disinformation operation we’ve seen repeatedly from the Russians over the years in Ukraine and in other countries, which have been debunked, and an example of the types of false pretexts we have been warning the Russians would invent.”

Most recent
All Articles