Please verify

Watch LIVE

12-year-old boy charged with first-degree murder after allegedly shooting a 13-year-old


He is reportedly being charged as a juvenile

Image Source: WRC-TV screenshot

A 12-year-old boy from Washington, D.C., has been charged with first-degree murder for allegedly shooting and killing a 13-year-old boy, police announced Monday.

The suspect, whose name has not been released to the public, is being charged as a juvenile, ABC News reported. The outlet noted that the incident took place outside a shopping center in Prince George's County, Maryland, over the weekend.

What happened?

Around 10:15 p.m. Saturday, officers with the Prince George's County Police Department responded to a reported stabbing at the Ritchie Station Marketplace shopping center in Forestville, Maryland, located right off the beltway.

When they arrived on the scene, they found a 13-year-old boy suffering from stab wounds that were not life threatening. He was transported to a nearby hospital for medical treatment, but has since been released.

However, lying next to the stabbing victim, police also found a 13-year-old boy later identified as King Douglas, who was suffering from a gunshot wound. Police confirmed that Douglas was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers reportedly said they do not believe the shooting to be random. Rather, they believe the violence stemmed from some sort of confrontation.

"The preliminary investigation revealed the shooting and stabbing stemmed from a dispute between two groups of juveniles in the shopping center," police said in a statement, according to WRC-TV.

Investigators are still looking for a separate suspect they believe is responsible for the stabbing attack and have asked the public to come forward with any information about the incident.

Anything else?

The incident is just the latest in a string of crimes committed by juveniles in the D.C. area in recent months.

In March, the tragic killing of an Uber Eats driver at the hands of two teenage girls — aged 13 and 15 — in the nation's capital shocked the country.

The girls reportedly attacked the driver, 66-year-old Pakistani immigrant Mohammad Anwar, with a stun gun nearby Nationals Park, causing the car to flip on its side. The vehicle raced around a sharp turn before hitting a curb. Anwar was expelled from the vehicle during the accident and died from his injuries.

Most recent
All Articles