© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Police Use Stun Gun on Occupy DC Protester

Police Use Stun Gun on Occupy DC Protester

(The Blaze/AP) U.S. Park Police say an officer used an electronic stun gun on an Occupy DC participant who was tearing down fliers warning protesters about the ban on camping in McPherson Square.

Police said the unidentified man was charged with disorderly conduct. The arrest occurred shortly after noon Sunday.

Sgt. David Schlosser, a park police spokesman, says the man ripped up the flier when he received it and then began tearing it off other tents. Schlosser says the man became "aggressive and confrontational" when police tried to arrest him and the stun gun was used. He says there will be an internal inquiry, as there is after any use of force.

An Occupy DC participant told The Washington Post that the use of the stun gun was unnecessary. A post on OccupyDC.org reads:

"Sunday morning, U.S. Park Police restrained a participant in the occupation of McPherson Square who was behaving non-violently, fired taser darts into his back, and continuously tased him while he lay face down and handcuffed."

CNN reports that Occupy DC demonstrators had spent Sunday afternoon discussing how to respond to a call by the National Park Service to stop camping overnight at sites a few blocks from the White House. The Park Police had told Occupy DC protesters Friday that they must stop camping at McPherson Square and Freedom Plaza by noon Monday or risk arrest.

The end of the post at OccupyDC.org reporting the stun gun incident reads:

"We invite anyone who is able to come to McPherson Square (at 15th and K Streets NW) starting tomorrow at noon and stretching into the evening to help defend the occupation. A General Assembly is held daily at 6pm."

Video of the arrest (WARNING: Strong Language/Violence)

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?