Jeff Kyle, the brother of former Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle, issued a statement Monday regarding Kyle's recent shooting death on behalf of the Kyle and Littlefield families. Suspect Eddie Routh allegedly shot and killed Kyle, 38, and his friend Chad Littlefield at Rough Creek Lodge in Glen Rose, Texas on Saturday.
"My name is Jeff Kyle. I'm here representing my family, the Kyle family, and also the Littlefield family. I am reading a prepared statement prepared by the Kyle family and Littlefield family," Kyle began.
"Chris Kyle and his trusted friend, Chad Littlefield, were tragically killed on Saturday, February 2, 2013, by a troubled veteran whom they were trying to help," Kyle said. "Chris lived by a professional motto: 'It is our duty to serve those who serve us.' And he and Chad died honoring this creed."
He went on: "Above all else, Chris was a unique individual, an amazing loving father, husband, son, brother, friend and devout Christian who had a profound effect on the lives of those that he touched. Chris was publicly known for being the president of Craft International and the author of the best-selling book 'American Sniper.' Chris, a former Navy SEAL, served four combat tours in operation Iraqi Freedom and elsewhere."
"We're all saddened by his tragic death. And America has truly lost one of its finest sons and a true patriot," Kyle added.
He also described Chad Littlefield, 35, as a devoted husband and father and loyal friend to many.
"Chad felt deeply about the values of family, compassion, friendship and loyalty and was equally passionate about his love of God and country," he said. "Chad was a cherished friend to Chris. Chad's passing is a tremendous loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to the Littlefield family."
Kyle also addressed the media: "I and the families request that the media respect the privacy of our family and the friends while we grieve the loss of Chris and details of the memorial service and funeral will be released at a later time."
Marcus Luttrell, a former Navy SEAL and close friend of Chris Kyle, also offered a few words in honor of the slain SEAL.
"I miss you bro," he said. "I think we've buried 67 of our closest brothers now, and it just never gets any easier."
- Timeline Begins to Emerge as More Details of Former Sniper Chris Kyle’s Murder Released: Here’s the Latest
- Former Navy SEAL & ‘American Sniper’ Author Chris Kyle Reportedly Killed at TX Lodge
- 10 of the Best Quotes from Slain SEAL Chris Kyle’s Book ‘American Sniper’
- Flashback: Watch Legendary SEAL Sniper Chris Kyle in Action on NBC’s Reality Show ‘Stars Earn Stripes’
- Former Soldier Charged With Capital Murder in the Death of Chris Kyle
- Former SEAL and Friend of Chris Kyle Explains Why a PTSD Sufferer Would Be at a Range and Cautions Anti-Gun Advocates