Actor Christian Bale (Credit: Getty Images)
Move over Charlton Heston. Actor Christian Bale is reportedly in talks to play Moses in a new rendition of the classic Bible story.
The film, called "Exodus," is being developed by producer and director Ridley Scott and Fox. And, according to reports, there's a good chance that Bale will be jumping on board.
Deadline has more about the "Batman" actor's potential foray into the Moses role:
The project is called Exodus, which was originally scripted by Adam Cooper and Bill Collage. Peter Chernin and his Chernin Entertainment bought the film as a pitch and they are producing with Scott and his Scott Free, which joined later. Now it has become a big priority after Steve Zaillian signed on to do a rewrite. Zaillian teamed with Scott on American Gangster. Scott is looking to mobilize this as soon as he completes The Counselor. The talks with Bale are early stage.
This comes as Warner Bros deals with Steven Spielberg dropping out of its mega-Moses project, Gods And Kings, the epic-sized film about life of Moses based on the script by Michael Green and Stuart Hazeldine. The studio’s Hail Mary pass is trying to secure the services of Ang Lee, fresh from his Oscar win for Life Of Pi.
Considering that quite a bit has changed surrounding how pictures are made since Heston first played Moses in the epic film "Ten Commandments" (circa 1956), a re-boot of the original story will certainly have a market.
As Deadline notes, History's "The Bible" has seen success this month and numerous feature films with a faith bent have yielded high returns over the past few years.
Whether Bale definitively jumps on board is yet to be seen, but the project -- if done well -- will certainly spark the intrigue of a cohort that enjoys Judeo-Christian-themed entertainment.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- ‘Bullied’ By Atheists? Former SNL Star Takes Heat for Saying He Believes in God, Scriptures
- Which Famed Christian Pastor Just Issued This Shocking Gay Marriage Endorsement?
- Free Speech Crackdown? Philly Mayor Calls for ‘Chilling’ Gov’t Probe of Magazine Over Race Relations Article
- 5 Secrets About Scientology Alleged in Tell-All Book by Church Leader’s Niece
- Hillary Clinton Endorses Gay Marriage: ‘Personally and as a Matter of Policy and Law’
- Sympathizing With Rapists? See What CNN Said About the Steubenville Rapists That Has It Taking Major Heat