"60 Minutes" offered a brief correction and apology on its Sunday broadcast for its flawed report last month about the Benghazi attacks.
Correspondent Lara Logan said they were "misled" by Dylan Davies, the security contractor who gave a dramatic account of rushing to the U.S. compound on the night of the assault. Logan said an incident report from Davies "told a different story about what he did the night of the attack" -- namely, that he wasn't there.
Logan said Davies denied having anything to do with the report, and insisted he had told the program the same story he told the FBI when they interviewed him, but "60 Minutes" discovered Thursday that that was not the case. That's when, Logan said, they realized they "had been misled."
“It was a mistake to include him in our report. For that, we are very sorry,” Logan said. "The most important thing to everyone at '60 Minutes' is the truth, and the truth is we made a mistake."
Media critics quickly seized on the "minimalist" 90-second correction and knocked "60 Minutes" for not offering more details about how the mistake happened in the first place.
"Well, my prediction was accurate. A minimalist correction and apology from @60Minutes tonight. The very least they could admit to," New York University journalism professor Jay Rosen tweeted.
"The retraction feels like it should have been longer, given magnitude of the mistake. Leaves many questions unanwered (sic)," Fox News' Howard Kurtz posted.
Liberal media watchdog Media Matters for America called it an "inadequate apology" that "failed to address fundamental questions about the CBS news magazine's vetting of an admitted liar."