When a mother in New Berlin, Wis., served her 5-year-old autistic son a juice box, she had no idea what was really hidden inside. In addition to juice, there was also reportedly brown, black and green mold.
Suzanne Hogue told WITI-TV that her son, Nathan, is unable to talk and was unable to tell her that something was wrong with the juice. After she poured the juice in his cup, it looked completely normal — but it certainly wasn’t.
When she analyzed the juice box, she quickly made the unsettling discovery.
“It took up half of the juice box and at that point it was brown, black, green. I didn’t even know what I was looking at at first,” the mother said. “I was so shocked when I opened it up. I had no idea what it was. It was so repulsive and it had an odor.”
Hogue called her son’s pediatrician and the Centers for Disease Control and was told to wait and see if the juice causes him sick. So for the next week, Hogue watched her son “like a hawk.”
Thankfully, he didn’t get sick.
However, the mother will never look at juice boxes the same again. Hogue said she plans to smell each drink and cut the box or pouch open before serving it to her son.
“Experts tell FOX6′s Contact 6 the mold growing inside Nathan Hogue’s juice box can happen to any food product if it is exposed to air,” WITI-TV’s report states. It apparently doesn't usually cause serious health problems.