Counterjihadist and Christian apologist blogger David Wood, proprietor of the site, Answering Muslims, published a video recently that has become particularly timely in the wake of the Obama administration's disavowal of the relationship between Islam and the Islamic State, and the recent spat between Bill Maher and Ben Affleck.
In the video, Wood, who heads the Act 17 Apologetics Missionary and routinely debates Muslims on Islam based upon the Koran and Hadith, argues that the ideological basis for the Islamic State lies explicitly in the Koran.
To argue his point, Wood cites 10 verses in the Koran and provides some additional historical context.
You can find the video, as well as the verses that Wood cites below.
10. Koran 3:32 – "Say: Obey Allah and the Messenger (Muhammad); but if they turn away, then indeed, Allah does not love the disbelievers."
9. Koran 48:29 – "Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah; and those with him are forceful against the unbelievers, and merciful among themselves."
8. Koran 4:24 – "And (forbidden are) married women except those (captives and slaves) your right hands possess."
[Note: Wood refers to Sunan Abu Dawud 2150 for the historical background of verse 4:24. The passage reads as follows:
"The Apostle of Allah sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the Apostle of Allah were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Qur’anic verse: "And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hands possess." That is to say, they are lawful for them when they complete their waiting period."]
7. Koran 5:33 – "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His apostle and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement."
6. Koran 9:5 – "When the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."
5. Koran 9:29 – "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the Religion of Truth, from among the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."
4. Koran 9:73 – "O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites and be unyielding to them; and their abode is hell, and evil is the destination."
3. Koran 9:111 – "Surely Allah has bought of the believers their persons and their property for this, that they shall have the garden; they fight in Allah's way, so they slay and are slain."
2. Koran 47:35 – "Be not weary and fainthearted, crying for peace, when you should be uppermost: for Allah is with you, and will never put you in loss for your (good) deeds."
1. Koran 2:106 – "Whatever communications We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring one better than it or like it. Do you not know that Allah has power over all things?"
*Note that these verses are taken directly from Wood's video, and may come from varying translations of the Koran. You can search a database of translations for yourself here.