The woman whose question was apparently leaked to Hillary Clinton ahead of the March Democratic primary debate in Flint, Michigan, is speaking out for the first time since the controversy surfaced last month.
Lee-Anne Walters, who lives in Flint, has twin 5-year-old boys who were both harmed as a result of the lead in the city's water system. One of her sons hasn't grown in two years, according to Fox News. Both have hand-eye coordination and speech issues. Walters and her whole family still have rashes from drinking the poisoned water.
Appearing on Fox News' "Happening Now" Tuesday, Walter was asked about interim Democratic National Committee Chairwoman and former CNN contributor Donna Brazile apparently leaking her question to Clinton in advance.
"I was disgusted by her answer, and I'm even more so now. I feel she should be disqualified because it gave her an advantage that she shouldn't have had," Walters said.
During her answer, Clinton told Walters she would commit to getting rid of lead not just in water, but "everywhere," if she becomes president:
I want to go further though. I want us to have an absolute commitment to getting rid of lead wherever it is because it's not only in water systems, it's also in soil, and it's in lead paint that is found mostly in older homes. That's why 500,000 children today have lead — lead in their bodies.
So, I want to do exactly what you said. We will commit to a priority to change the water systems, and we will commit within five years to remove lead from everywhere.
But Walters on Tuesday called that answer a "cop-out" because she said there are "already funds" to keep lead out of water and paint, both of which Clinton mentioned.
In a leaked email to Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta, Brazile apparently gave the heads up that a "woman with a rash ... will ask what, if anything, will Hillary do as president to help the ppl of Flint." Brazile flatly denied having anything to do with leaking debate questions, calling the WikiLeaks emails "doctored." However, a technology blog later revealed the emails were not doctored.
CNN on Monday announced it was parting ways with Brazile. A statement from the cable network said it was "completely uncomfortable" with Brazile's conduct. CNN President Jeff Zucker further called the former liberal commentator's behavior "disgusting."