Try BlazeTV for Free
News

Watch: E-cigarette explodes in man's pants at Grand Central, causing serious injury

In this photo illustration, a smoker puffs on an e-cigarette. (AP/Wichita Falls Times Record News, Torin Halsey)

A man has been seriously injured by an electronic cigarette that exploded in his pants in New York's Grand Central terminal on Wednesday.

The entire incident, at a wine store in the train station, was captured on video.

Otis Gooding, 31, was "seriously injured" by the explosion, his attorney said, according to CNN.

Gooding had been standing and talking to his coworkers when the e-cigarette, or vape, exploded.

CNN reported that he suffered third-degree burns and is expected to undergo surgery at the Weill Cornell Medical Center burn unit.

More from CNN:

John Lee, another employee of Central Cellars Wine and Spirits, in Grand Central Terminal, said he ran behind a pillar in the store once the sparks started flying.

"Unfortunately there was nothing we could do but call the police," Lee told CNN. "Otis ran water on himself till the paramedics came. I was traumatized to see someone hurt that way," Lee said.

Lee, a former e-cigarette smoker himself, said the device had been customized. "I've never seen one that has so much power, it's aftermarket customized so you can change the voltage for high performances," he said.

Gooding plans to take "appropriate legal action" against the manufacturer of the e-cigarette, his attorney said.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Recommended
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.