Entertainment

Netflix just took decisive action against Kevin Spacey as more allegations of abuse surface

Netflix takes more action against actor Kevin Spacey as his sexual abuse scandal grows. (NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images)

What happened?

Netflix announced Friday they have severed ties with "House of Cards" star Kevin Spacey amid a sexual harassment scandal that seems only to be getting worse.

The online streaming company said they will not be involved with "House of Cards" if Spacey played a role in the drama's final season. Netflix has exclusively streamed the show's first five seasons.

The company said, according to CNN:

Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with [Media Rights Capital] during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in postproduction, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.

So will 'House of Cards' continue?

Producers revealed they are searching for avenues to continue filming the sixth and final season of "House of Cards," and may do so by killing Spacey's character — Frank Underwood — off the show. However, Spacey's contract may not allow producers to do that, given that he is the star of the show and likely has a provision in his contract that requires him to be present in each episode.

The company that produces the show, Media Rights Capital, said:

While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of House of Cards, he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus

The company had already told its staff that this season would be its last. Producers made that knowledge public this week after the allegations against Spacey snowballed.

Allegations against Spacey blew up this week after actor Anthony Rapp revealed that Spacey made a sexual advance toward him nearly three decades ago when Rapp was just 14. The allegations became worse on Thursday when multiple employees from the "House of Cards" set revealed they had been the victims of unwanted advances and groping from Spacey. The show's production has since been halted.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.