Try BlazeTV for Free
News

A turpentine cleanse? Here's a new health trend you should not try without talking to your doctor

Pure gum spirits of turpentine is being used by some to treat internal parasites and other conditions. But this is not the same product as the turpentine, or paint thinner, found in hardware stores. (Image source: Video screenshot)

It's not uncommon for those who are health conscience to do a cleanse, but some are touting a controversial cleanse that involves ingesting turpentine.

Pure gum spirit of turpentine, which is an essential oil, has been used for centuries as a treatment for various ailments. This is not the same product as the turpentine, or paint thinner, found in hardware stores.

Some believe the oil can be used internally as a treatment for parasites and candida infections, WLNY-TV reported.

Doctors warn that taking the oil internally could be harmful or even fatal.

What is pure gum spirits of turpentine?

Pure gum spirit of turpentine oil is derived from the raw gum, or sap, of slash pine trees.

What's the story?

Azmyth Kaminski, who calls himself a healing consultant, documented his turpentine cleanse journey in a series of YouTube videos.

In his videos, he explained how to saturate sugar cubes with the oil, which he then chewed.

“It turned out really well for me," Kaminski told WLNY.

Kaminski took the cubes twice a week during his six-week cleanse.

What do experts say?

Author and physician Fred Pescatore told the news station that turpentine has healing properties for certain skin conditions, such as eczema. However, he said he rarely uses for his patients.

“It’s extraordinarily harsh and it has to be very, very, very diluted or you’re going to burn your skin basically because the resin of the tree is that strong,” Pescatore said.

He explained that it takes time for people's bodies to adjust to the harshness of the oil.

“Your body has to get used to it and I think that’s where most people are not going to take the time to allow their bodies to gradually go drop, by drop, by drop.”

Nicolette Pace, a registered dietician, warned that ingesting the oil is toxic and that the risks don't outweigh the alleged benefits.

“The adverse effects and or fatalities are clearly going to outweigh any potential benefit,” Pace told WLNY. "At the one teaspoon dosage, there are some serious reported adverse effects. It’s kidney-toxic … as little as three teaspoons are fatal.”

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Recommended
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.