Try BlazeTV for Free
News

Report: Megyn Kelly was set to host NBC’s election night coverage prior to blackface controversy

A new report alleges that Megyn Kelly was set to host NBC's midterm elections coverage before the blackface controversy. (Jemal Countess/Getty Images)

Megyn Kelly was tapped to host NBC's election night coverage before becoming embroiled in a controversy about Halloween blackface in October, according to a Page Six report.

What are the details?

Kelly was set to be a part of NBC's election coverage, and the network had even prepped promotional materials featuring Kelly among the network's other anchors, such as Chuck Todd, Savannah Guthrie, and Lester Holt, Page Six reported.

Kelly parted ways with NBC last month after making what many believed were inappropriate remarks about blackface and Halloween.

During an all-white panel discussion on Oct. 23, Kelly questioned why wearing blackface would be offensive during the Halloween season, and noted that dressing up in blackface was “OK” when she was a child “as long as you were dressing like a character.”

Kelly faced tremendous backlash in response to her comments and issued a companywide apology that same night on email.

The next day, Kelly’s “Today” co-anchors, Al Roker and Melvin Craig, said that Kelly’s apology wasn’t good enough, and insisted that she apologize to all people of color for her offending remarks.

Kelly did just that during her final appearance on "Megyn Kelly Today."

The following day, Oct. 25, Kelly was no longer a part of the production. NBC canceled “Megyn Kelly Today” the day after that.

What happened next?

As a result of her dismissal, Kelly was also axed from the network's special live broadcast of "The Vote: America's Future."

NBC News declined to comment on the issue, according to the outlet.

An insider, however, confirmed that Kelly would obviously not be appearing as part of the network's election night coverage.

Anything else?

Kelly is reportedly locked in a $69 million contract negotiation battle with her former network.

In October, a report in The Hollywood Reporter emerged, noting that Kelly lawyered up for a fight with the network. The report also added that Kelly had separated from her talent agency.

Also, a source told the Daily Mail that Kelly would likely walk away with the rest of her contract.

“Here’s the worst part – her deal is a non-break deal – so she walks away with all that money,” the source explained. “It’s disgusting and heads should roll here because of it.”

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.