"Megha was a confident and independent young woman. She will be dearly missed. She loved her fans and would have wanted you to know of her passing. At this time, we request your blessings for Megha. Your thoughts and prayers will be with her in her onward journey," her parents added in the Instagram post.
Who was Thakur?
The Daily Beast said Thakur "posted videos promoting body positivity and self-confidence while documenting her fashion and influencer lifestyle." As of Friday morning there were more than 930,000 followers and nearly 32 million likes on her TikTok page. Thakur's final TikTok post appeared Nov. 18; the same post hit her Instagram page the same day.
Content warning: Language:
"You're in charge of your destiny. Remember that," she wrote on her final TikTok post while adding the hashtags "#confidence" and "#selflove."
Yahoo Life, citing the Western Gazette, said Thakur posted her first video in November 2019 and was a student at Western University in London, Ontario, where she studied computer science in the fall of 2021.
A funeral service was held Tuesday in her hometown of Brampton, Ontario, Yahoo Life added.
'I cried for her all day'
Expressions of love and sadness flowed into the comments section of Thakur's final TikTok post:
- "RIP," one user said. "I admired her so much. Definitely a role model for the young ones."
- "She died unexpectedly that’s what makes it scarier," another commenter said. "If she had an existing health condition it would have been easier to process, but life is short."
- "I'm still in shock," another user said. "Life is so short. One minute ur here and then ur gone, rest in peace queen."
- "I am in disbelief," another commenter said. "I’ve rarely ever shed tears for someone I’ve looked up to on social media, but I’m crying as I type this. I don’t know what to say."
- "I'm shocked, I cant believe it," another user said. "She helped me to learn how to love myself…I adored her. She was a beautiful soul. I cried for her all day…"