Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images
© 2023 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Some students are coming out in full force against Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's remarks comparing Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention centers to concentration camps.
What's a brief background?
On Monday night, Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) went on an Instagram rant blasting the detention centers.
"The United States is running concentration camps on our southern border, and that is exactly what they are," she insisted. "They are concentration camps."
The freshman lawmaker added that people, who are "concerned enough with humanity to say ... that 'never again' means something," should stand up and make a difference.
"I don't use those words lightly," she explained. "I don't use those words to just throw bombs. I use that word because that is what an administration that creates concentration camps is. A presidency that creates concentration camps is fascist and it's very difficult to say that."
Ocasio-Cortez stirred considerable controversy with the remarks.
What are the students saying?
Campus Reform's Cabot Phillips visited the campus at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., along with a copy of Ocasio-Cortez's remarks.
Liberal and conservative students alike blasted the Democratic lawmaker for her remarks, with many insisting that she owes the American public an apology for such a comparison.
Here's what some of the students said:
- "I think she owes a major apology to the American people for comparing these detainment camps to one of the most horrific events ever in history."
- "You can't be throwing the word 'concentration camps' around."
- "I think that's a bit extreme."
- "To call them concentration camps where, you know, people are being killed en masse, or killed indiscriminately is a reach."
- "This is so heavily associated with the Holocaust and genocide ... I see what she's trying to do, but I think that it's not very good."
- "I think this was an embarrassment to the Democratic party."
- "'Concentration camp' wasn't the best comparison."
AOC Concentration Camp Comment Too 'Extreme' For Studentswww.youtube.com
Want to leave a tip?
We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.