© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
82-year-old man dies after being punched, kicked repeatedly in unprovoked attack at Portland bus stop
Image source: YouTube screenshot

82-year-old man dies after being punched, kicked repeatedly in unprovoked attack at Portland bus stop

Police said an 82-year-old man who was repeatedly punched and kicked in an unprovoked attack at a Portland bus stop late last month has died, Oregon Live reported.

What are the details?

Donald Pierce died Thursday of blunt force trauma after he and 88-year-old Edward Lichtenstein were knocked to the ground and beaten near Southwest 5th Avenue and Hall Street around 8:30 p.m. June 25, the outlet said.

Portland police officers were responding to an unrelated call in the area when they saw the attack and arrested 29-year-old Keffer White, Oregon Live said.

Image source: YouTube screenshot

Witness statements and video of the incident indicate that White attacked Lichtenstein and Pierce with no warning, the outlet said in an earlier story. White punched and kicked both men repeatedly even after knocking them to the ground, Oregon Live said, citing police.

Witnesses also said White announced during the attack that he was going to kill the two men, Multnomah County district attorney spokesperson Elisabeth Shepard said in a release, according to the outlet.

Lichtenstein and his wife and Pierce had been waiting for a bus at the stop when White began yelling and making fun of the two men for being elderly, Deputy District Attorney Nicole M. Hermann wrote in an affidavit filed in court, according to Oregon Live.

More from the outlet:

White became more aggressive and approached the group, who did not engage him, the prosecutor wrote. White “head-butts” Lichtenstein, knocking his hat off his head, and shoved him backwards before grabbing and throwing Pierce to the ground, Hermann wrote. White knocked Pierce, who uses a cane, into the street and then kicked him in the head several times, witnesses told police, according to the affidavit. White then turned back to Lichtenstein, who was attempting to walk away, and punched Lichtenstein in the face, knocking him to the ground, the affidavit said.

Oregon Live said Pierce was found unconscious with major trauma to his face and head and was hospitalized, according to Hermann, who added that Pierce's injuries were life-threatening. Lichtenstein was conscious and taken to a hospital with injuries to his mouth and face, the outlet said, citing the affidavit, adding that he was soon treated and released.

Before Pierce’s death, prosecutors charged White with two counts of attempted murder and counts of first- and second-degree assault, Oregon Live said, adding that court records indicate White pleaded not guilty to all charges July 6.

Police said Tuesday additional charges against White are pending, the outlet reported, adding that court records show his next court appearance is scheduled for Friday.

White also has been convicted several times for felonies in Oregon, including unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, being a felon in possession of a firearm, strangulation, and assault, Oregon Live added.

He remained Wednesday in Multnomah County jail.

Man attacked in downtown Portland passes away in hospitalyoutu.be

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?