Police said a 47-year-old man was going down an escalator near the A and C lines at the Broadway Junction subway station in Brooklyn around 4 a.m. Wednesday, the New York Post reported.
But Jareill Finely, 28, and Alasha Landall, 25, were blocking the man's path down the escalator, cops told the paper.
What happened next?
What's more, when the man attempted to get past Finely and Landall, they didn't allow it, authorities added to the Post.
With that, an argument commenced, police told the paper.
And then it soon turned violent, as Finely stabbed the man in the stomach, police added to the Post.
What happened to the stabbing victim?
The paper said the stabbing victim was taken to Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.
What happened to the couple?
A short time later responding officers caught up with Finely, of Queens, and Landall, of Brooklyn, and charged them with assault, the New York Daily News reported.
The Post, citing police, noted that Finely also was charged with criminal possession of a weapon.
Their arraignments in Brooklyn Criminal Court were pending Wednesday, the Daily News said.
Violence appears to have been surging in New York City of late:
- A man was caught on video slugging a 60-year-old woman in the head in an unprovoked attack in the Grand Central subway station in mid-July. The woman — grandmother who was praying the rosary at the time — was said to be out of work for weeks due to her injuries.
- A violent repeat offender was caught on police bodycam video smashing a glass bottle over a New York City police officer's head in an unprovoked attack on a Brooklyn street late last month.
- A woman suffered a critical head injury after she and her son were yanked down subway stairs during a botched robbery Saturday morning in Manhattan.
- Surveillance video captured the harrowing moment a baby-faced suspect was said to have fatally shot a man outside a Brooklyn deli in mid-July.
- Thugs brutally beat up a 61-year-old woman who needs a walker to get around late last month on a Harlem sidewalk, bashed her with cooking pot — and even ripped off her walker.
- Video showed a mob of teens savagely attacking an off-duty New York City firefighter while he was walking his dog in a park in Queens in late July.
- A mugger was caught on video beating a 68-year-old man senseless in broad daylight on a Brooklyn sidewalk late last month — and police sources said the beatdown commenced after the victim refused to give up his belongings.
- Disturbing video showed two men shooting up a Queens street and leaving at least 10 people wounded before the shooters escaped on mopeds.