The alleged mother of the 10-year-old girl at the center of a national story told a reporter on Thursday that the man accused of raping her daughter is the victim of slanderous lies.
What are the details?
Telemundo reporter María Vargas-Pion went to the house where law enforcement apprehended 27-year-old Gerson Fuentes, the man charged with raping the child.
The woman who opened the door identified herself as the mother of the young child, confirming the victim also lives there and that she is "fine." Shockingly, the woman, who refused to provide her name, claimed that everything being said about Fuentes is a "lie."
According to Vargas-Pion, the mother also confirmed that she refused to press charges against Fuentes.
She reportedly refused to press charges despite Fuentes, according to Telemundo, telling police that he had sexual contact with the young girl on at least two occasions. The assaults reportedly happened when the girl was 9 years old, Telemundo reported, and resulted in a pregnancy, which was terminated in an abortion procedure last month.
Fuentes is being held in jail on $2 million bond. He is from Guatemala and was living in the United States illegally.
Another interesting aspect to the story is whether physicians who knew about the sexual assault reported the case to law enforcement, as required by Ohio and Indiana law.
The Indianapolis Star confirmed that Dr. Caitlin Bernard, the Indianapolis OB/GYN who performed the abortion, disclosed the abortion by filing the correct forms with the Indiana Department of Health and the Department of Child Services.
Bernard filed the appropriate form on July 2, two days after the abortion, according to the newspaper. Indiana law mandates the form be filed within three days for patients under the age of 16.
Still, Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita (R) said the state will investigate the circumstances of the case.
"As we stated, we are gathering evidence from multiple sources and agencies related to these allegations," Rokita told the Star. "Our legal review of it remains open."
Meanwhile, attorney Kathleen Delaney said Bernard is considering legal action against Rokita and others for having "smeared" her.
"She followed all relevant policies, procedures, and regulations in this case, just as she does every day to provide the best possible care for her patients," Delaney said in a statement provided to the Star.
"She has not violated any law, including patient privacy laws, and she has not been disciplined by her employer," the statement continued. "We are considering legal action against those who have smeared my client, including Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita, and know that the facts will all come out in due time."