© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Former Wrestlemania star named as suspect in hours-long standoff with police after fatally shooting his wife
FOTOKITA via iStock/Getty Images

Former Wrestlemania star named as suspect in hours-long standoff with police after fatally shooting his wife

A former pro wrestler allegedly engaged police in an hours-long standoff and fatally shot his wife in Washington, according to multiple reports.

Tactical teams responded to a shooting around 9:52 a.m. on Thursday in the Lents neighborhood of Portland, Washington.

Officers determined the gunman was inside the residence and requested assistance from the Special Emergency Reaction Team and the Crisis Negotiation Team. The suspect was reportedly uncooperative with law enforcement officers and police advised nearby residents to shelter in place, according to a news release from the Portland Police Bureau.

It took officers approximately two hours to detain the suspect – 70-year-old William Albert Haynes Jr.

Inside the home, officers found the dead body of an elderly woman.

Authorities identified the shooting victim as 85-year-old Janette Becraft – the second wife of Haynes.

The medical examiner determined Becraft died of homicide by gunshot wound.

Haynes was taken into custody by police and then transported to a local hospital for treatment of a "medical condition unrelated to the homicide or his contact with law enforcement." Portland police said his release from the hospital "may be days from now," but he would then be booked into jail and formally charged.

KATU reported that Haynes was a former pro wrestler.

Haynes started his professional wrestling career in 1982 and performed under the name Billy Jack Haynes.

Haynes joined the WWF in 1986, and competed against wrestling stars such as Ric Flair and Randy “Macho Man” Savage during the 1980s.

According to Slam Wrestling, Haynes had a "long feud with Hercules Hernandez, including the Battle of the Full-Nelsons at WrestleMania III and a series of bloody chain matches that stood out in the fairly family-friendly promotion."

Haynes departed from the WWF in 1988 after he allegedly refused to lose in a match hosted in his hometown of Portland.

The Portland Police Bureau is urging anyone with information about this case to contact Detective Ryan Foote at ryan.foote@police.portlandoregon.gov (503) 823-0781 or Detective Travis Law at Travis.Law@police.portlandoregon.gov 503-823-0395 and reference case number 24-31552.

Like Blaze News? Circumvent the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?