Team USA's Megan Rapinoe reacts after failing to score in the penalty shootout Sunday against Sweden in the 2023 Women's World Cup Round of 16. Sweden eliminated the U.S. (Photo by WILLIAM WEST/AFP via Getty Images)
© 2023 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
The U.S. women's soccer team was eliminated from the 2023 World Cup tournament in a shootout loss to Sweden on Sunday — and many observers couldn't be happier.
It was the worst-ever World Cup finish for the USA women after winning it all in their last two campaigns. But the American women at times seemed to make more headlines about controversial behavior like not singing the national anthem than their play on the field.
What happened in the game?
The score remained 0-0 after regulation, so the contest went to a penalty-kick shootout — and Rapinoe was one of three U.S. players to miss shootout kick attempts before Sweden finally netted one and claimed victory, ESPN reported.
Rapinoe's penalty-kick attempt was way off the mark, sailing high over the over the goalpost. Check out her reaction to her botched attempt:
After the loss, Yahoo Sports observed that "no U.S. team had ever finished worse than third at the Women’s World Cup; this one will finish something like 12th." The outlet added that no U.S. team had ever scored fewer than 12 goals during a women’s World Cup tournament — and the 2023 team scored only four goals.
How are folks reacting?
A deluge of commenters underneath the Yahoo Sports story on Team USA's elimination were quite happy about it — mirroring the response when the American women were beaten in the 2021 Olympics. Check out a sampling:
- "Yay! I was pulling for Sweden the whole time," one commenter wrote. "Congratulations to a team that actually takes pride in and honors their country. As for the other team, couldn't be more well deserved. Entitlement is not the path to take."
- "This is fantastic!" another commenter declared. "My day has been made."
- "A heartfelt congrats to the US Women's National Soccer team," another commenter said sarcastically. "In a time of great polarity in the United States, they managed to bring together almost the entire nation, in cheering against them. It's a difficult task to get almost the entire country to agree on something, well done players!"
- "Great win for Sweden, I'm glad they beat Team USA," another commenter said. "As a retired Army Vet with 20 years in service, I have to say that if you are not with us, you're against us! .... That team doesn't represent us!!!! Once again, Congrats to Sweden!!!!!"
- "Great news! A NATIONAL team spitting on us all by ignoring our anthem is a disgrace. Don't play for a national team if you don't like the nation. Try that in some other countries and see how well that goes," another commenter said.
- "Feel good story of the day," another commenter said. "If you don’t wanna stand and passionately belt out our national anthem with some pride like the other countries players then you shouldn’t be sent to represent our country."
- "Love it," another commenter said. "A more unlikeable team doesn't exist."
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!
Want to leave a tip?
We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Sr. Editor, News
Dave Urbanski is a senior editor for Blaze News.