NYC lawsuit alleging Favre sent racy texts settled
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:25pm
(AP) — A lawsuit filed by two massage therapists who sued retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre over claims he sent racy text messages has been settled, a lawyer for the women said Friday.
Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:22pm
(AP) — The trucker was hauling a load of drilling equipment when his load bumped against the steel framework over an Interstate 5 bridge. He looked in his rearview mirror and watched in horror as the span collapsed into the water behind him. Two vehicles fell into the icy Skagit River.
Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:22pmUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 6:24pm
(AP) — Haynes Johnson, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter who migrated from newspapers to television, books and teaching, died Friday. He was 81.
Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:18pm
(AP) — A person with direct knowledge of Hulu says the video site is again up for sale, with Yahoo and pay TV operators DirecTV and Time Warner Cable among the seven bidders.
Principal recounts storm hitting Oklahoma school
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:14pmUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 6:15pm
(AP) — Teachers and students at Plaza Towers Elementary School hunkered down against the storm just as they had been taught in countless tornado drills, their principal said Friday, recounting how she walked the halls until the twister was on the doorstep, then announced on the intercom, "It's here."
Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:11pm
(AP) — Toronto Mayor Rob Ford denied Friday that he smokes crack cocaine and said he is not an addict after a video purported to show him using the drug. The mayor of Canada's largest city did not say whether he has ever used crack.
McIlroy, Donald miss cut at BMW PGA Championship
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:06pm
(AP) — Rory McIlory was one of five 2012 European Ryder Cup players to miss the cut Friday in the BMW PGA Championship, while Medinah teammate Francesco Molinari took the lead at cold and wet Wentworth.
Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 6:00pmUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 6:01pm
(AP) — Ex-Guatemalan President Alfonso Portillo was extradited on Friday to the United States to face charges of laundering $70 million in Guatemalan funds through U.S. bank accounts.
Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:50pmUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 5:52pm
(AP) — A California bill that would have required manufacturers to figure out how to keep the most common plastic junk out of state waterways has died in the state Assembly without a vote.
No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:48pmUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 5:49pm
(AP) — After their 2-year-old son died of untreated pneumonia in 2009, faith-healing advocates Herbert and Catherine Schaible promised a judge they would not let another sick child go without medical care.
Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:33pm
(AP) — It's considered the Holy Grail of comic books: Action Comics No. 1 from 1938, featuring the debut of Superman. And David Gonzales found one mixed in with old newspapers insulating a house he was renovating in a small town in Minnesota.
Grizzlies, Memphis ready to 'believe' vs Spurs
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:32pm
(AP) — The towels are showing up all around Memphis. They hang over neighborhood signs and even at a door to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:29pm
(AP) — Sen. Charles Schumer urged regulators to "use extreme caution" when reviewing the proposed acquisition of No. 3 cell carrier Sprint Nextel by Japan's Softbank, saying the Japanese company's use of Chinese networking equipment could open up U.S. networks to snooping and hacking.
IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:25pm
(AP) — After two days of intense questioning from French magistrates, International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde said Friday a court named her as a key witness in an investigation into a controversial payoff to an outspoken businessman that was arranged while she was France's finance minister — stopping short of charging her outright.
Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:20pm
(AP) — No one answered the tax-help hotline at the IRS on Friday. And you could forget about getting advice on avoiding foreclosures at the 80 Housing and Urban Development field offices nationwide.
Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:17pm
(AP) — President Barack Obama signed legislation Friday to award Congress' highest civilian honor to four girls killed in an Alabama church bombing during the civil rights movement. He called it a tragic loss that "helped to trigger triumph and a more just and equal and fair America."
Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:16pm
(AP) — Major stock indexes closed out their first weekly loss in a month in quiet trading Friday.
Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 5:04pm
(AP) — A Utah Army veteran was found hanging dead Friday in his jail cell as he awaited trial on charges of killing a police officer and wounding five others during a raid that netted 13 pot plants and sparked a fierce debate about what happened that night.
Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:55pmUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 4:56pm
(AP) — The principal of the Oklahoma elementary school where seven children died in a tornado says her teachers did everything they could to save their lives.
Arias foreman: Sentencing decision unfair to jury
Posted on May 24, 2013 at 4:52pmUpdated on May 24, 2013 at 4:54pm
(AP) — The jury foreman in Jodi Arias' trial says the panel just couldn't decide whether the killing of her boyfriend was enough to merit a death a sentence.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 557 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 482 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 340 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 236 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 237 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- NYC lawsuit alleging Favre sent racy texts settled
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
- Principal recounts storm hitting Oklahoma school
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- McIlroy, Donald miss cut at BMW PGA Championship
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US