On Thursday morning, "CBS This Morning" ran a clip from an interview with former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe in which he said that the Department of Justice had considered whether or not members of Trump's Cabinet would be willing to invoke the 25th Amendment and remove the president from office.
Shortly after this interview aired, the Department of Justice released a statement calling this and other statements that McCabe had said "inaccurate and factually incorrect."
What did McCabe say?
Although it wasn't included in the clip, CBS "60 Minutes" host Scott Pelley told the "CBS This Morning" panel that McCabe had told him, "There were meetings at the Justice Department at which it was discussed whether the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet could be brought together to remove the president of the United States under the 25th Amendment."
Pelley said that McCabe had told him that while the DOJ had not asked specific Cabinet members whether or not they would invoke the 25th Amendment, but that it was "counting noses" and "speculating" about which Cabinet members would be in favor of such a move.
McCabe was fired on March 16 by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
Andrew McCabe tells "60 Minutes" why he opened investigations involving Trump youtu.be
What did the DOJ say?
In a statement, the Department of Justice said:
As to the specific portions of this interview provided to the Department of Justice by 60 Minutes in advance, the Deputy Attorney General again rejects Mr. McCabe's recitation of events as inaccurate and factually incorrect.
The statement continued:
As the Deputy Attorney General previously has stated, based on his personal dealings with the President, there is no basis to invoke the 25th Amendment, nor was the DAG in a position to consider invoking the 25th Amendment.
Trump also weighed in
After the clip from McCabe's interview aired, Trump tweeted that McCabe was "a big part of the Crooked HIllary Scandal & the Russia Hoax" and "a disgrace to the FBI and a disgrace to our Country."