For the past week, Glenn Beck has been investigating a Saudi national once identified as a "person of interest" in the Boston Marathon bombing. The story has taken a number of alarming twists and turns, but on his radio program Wednesday, Beck released some of the most interesting information yet.
But first, here are a few background points on how the case developed:
- A Saudi national originally identified as a “person of interest” in the Boston Marathon bombing was set to be deported under section 212, 3B — “Security and related grounds” — “Terrorist activities” after the bombing on April 15
- TheBlaze received word that the government may not deport the Saudi national -- identified as Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi -- as the story gained traction on April 18.
- Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano refused to answer questions on the subject by Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC) on Capitol Hill on April 18, saying the inquiry was “so full of misstatements and misapprehension that it’s just not worthy of an answer.”
- An ICE official said April 18 that a different Saudi national is in custody, but that he is “in no way” connected to the bombings.
- Key congressmen of the Committee on Homeland Security request a classified briefing with Napolitano on April 22
- New info provided to TheBlaze reveals Alharbi’s file was altered on the evening of April 17 to disassociate him from the initial charges
- Sources say April 22 that the Saudi’s student visa specifically allows him to go to school in Findlay, Ohio, though he appears to have an apartment in Boston, Mass. A DHS official told TheBlaze Alharbi properly transferred his student visa to a school in Massachusetts.
- TheBlaze sources reveal April 22 that Alharbi was put on a terror watchlist after the bombing, and Napolitano confirmed on April 23 that he was briefly on a "watchlist"
A photo allegedly of Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi in the hospital.
On his radio program, Beck began with an overview of how the case unfolded, noting that Alharbi has rapidly gone from "person of interest, to witness, to victim, to nobody."
Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano even said yesterday that Alharbi was just "in the wrong place at the wrong time" and was "never a subject," after ridiculing inquiries into the matter last week.
But Wednesday, Beck presented new information after a Blaze source directly read the original event file, and multiple government sources with knowledge of the case and files contributed their knowledge.
Napolitano could serve "jail time for perjury," Beck declared, and she will be "the first to fall."
Here are a couple of new points, as Beck related them:
- The event file created for Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi indicated he was "armed and dangerous"
- Alharbi was admitted into the country under a "special advisory option," which is usually reserved for visiting politicians, VIPs, or journalists. The event file cover page indicates he was granted his status without full vetting.
- One of the first excuses given by law enforcement when confronted about Alharbi's pending deportation was an expired visa. But according to the event file, his visa is good until 11-NOV-2016.
- The event file indicates he entered the U.S. on 08/28/12 in Boston, MA but says he is a student at the University of Findlay, in Findlay, Ohio. He has an apartment in Boston, and doesn't seem to have been a full-time student in Ohio.
- When a file is created in the system, the author(s) are notified via email when it is accessed and given the email address of the person accessing, so there is a record within the government data system of who was there. It was amended to remove the deportation reference, then someone later went in and tried to destroy both the original event file and an amended versions. We won't say who at this time, but copies have already been made.
- The original event file was reviewed and approved by two high level agents - Chief Watch Commander Maimbourg and Watch Commander Mayfield.
Here is the text of the cover of the event file, which reveals still more:
ALHARBI, ABDULRAHMAN ALI E
COC SAUDI ARABIA
Subject is an exact match to NO FLY TPN# 1037506192. Derogatory information reviewed by W/C Mayfield and CW/C Maimbourg was found to be sufficient to request Visa revocation. NTC-P is requesting revocation of Foil# e3139541. Subject is inadmissible to the U.S. under INA 212(a)(3)(B)(i)(II). SAO was not completed prior to Visa issuance. Subject is currently in the United States, admitted F1 student, at Boston POE on 08/28/2012. Subject is a student at THE UNIVERSITY OF FINDLAY, 1000 NORTH MAIN STREET FINDLAY, OHIO 45840-3695. Subject has One (1) prior event #1648067, Fins promoted, NT record in place, No scheduled found at this time. [Emphasis added]
And here is a photo of the page:
Beck explained: "Derogatory information reviewed...That means, we have been presented bad information...and it was reviewed, and found to be sufficient. Subject has One (1) prior event...[That means] when they opened this when he was at the hospital, they found he's already in the system."
"A 212, 3B [is] the biggest warning we can put on anybody," Beck explained for those unfamiliar with the term. "You do not put people's name on there easily...this is a terrorist designation, and there is a panel of agencies that you have to go and make your case to. It's not like you're standing in the hospital room and they say: 'Make him a 212,3B.' And if they are, they're abusing their power....It is so rare that somebody's name is taken off outside of death, that none of ours sources can tell us that it's ever happened. It is laughable what Janet Napolitano said yesterday."
Certainly, a litany of questions remain.
Was Alharbi considered "armed and dangerous" before the Boston bombing, or at it? Was it related to something they found at his apartment? Was his prior "event" from the days prior, at the bombing, or was it from an earlier period in his life?
Moreover, how was he admitted into the country under a "special advisory option?" How many students receive that privilege, particularly without proper security clearance?
In Beck's estimation, the entire situation at the least amounts to an alarming lack of transparency, and at the worst, an abuse of power and cover-up.
"This is not about this one guy," Beck noted, "but by the way -- where is this extraordinarily dangerous man? Ask that question, you're not going to like the answer."
"That's what TheBlaze is releasing today," he continued. "Once they explain away all of this, if you want to continue to discredit me, you will discredit yourself but more importantly, you will put the citizens of this country at stake."
Watch Beck's entire explanation, below:
This post may be updated.
- Janet Napolitano’s Major Admission: Saudi Student Was Put on Watchlist
- Beck Breaks Exclusive Information on Saudi National Once Considered a Person of Interest in Boston Bombings
- Exclusive: Key Congressmen Request Classified Briefing on Saudi ‘Person of Interest’ in Boston Bombing
Editor's note -- We discussed this story and all the day's news during Wednesday's BlazeCast: