FOR RSS

Junior Ice Hockey Players Felt Dizzy and Nauseated. The Fire Department Found Out Why — and Soon 81 People Were Hospitalized.

One player was getting oxygen therapy at a hyperbaric chamber in Milwaukee.

Image source: Shutterstock

LAKE DELTON, Wis. (TheBlaze/AP) — A carbon monoxide leak during a junior hockey game at a Wisconsin ice rink sent dozens of people to hospitals, authorities said.

Image source: Shutterstock Image source: Shutterstock

At least 81 people were treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after the leak was discovered at Poppy Waterman Ice Rink in Lake Delton on Saturday, the Wisconsin State Journal reported.

Players reported having headaches, dizziness and nausea after a game between the Dells Ducks and the Rochester Ice Hawks, according to the Delton Fire Department, which recognized the symptoms.

More from the Journal:

Shortly after, at approximately 10:30 p.m., the Delton Fire Department responded to the scene and found high levels of the chemical from inside the building. Many of the players, staff and spectators had left the building prior to the discovery of the chemical, and emergency personnel were dispatched to several locations in the surrounding area to inform residents about the issue.

Only one person was known to still be receiving treatment Sunday. One Ducks player was getting oxygen therapy at a hyperbaric chamber in Milwaukee, the Minnesota Junior Hockey League said.

A faulty ice rink resurfacer is being blamed for the incident, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Featured image: Shutterstock

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.