Recently we conducted an extensive interview with a former top Iranian Shariah lawyer and author of "Honor Killing: A Professional's Guide to Sexual Relations and Ghayra Violence from the Islamic Sources," Daniel Akbari, on the nature of Islam and Shariah law generally, and in particular its dictates regarding violence against women.
While reading Akbari's book, we came across a passage describing six principles in Islam that we thought might be particularly eye-opening for readers. These include:
An Afghan refugee reads verses of the Quran during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan, in a mosque on the outskirts of Islamabad, Pakistan, Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012. Muslims throughout the world are marking the month of Ramadan, the holiest month in Islamic calendar. (Credit: AP)
- Koffar (unbelievers) do not have a right to know what Islam teaches.
- It is sinful for Muslims to take non-Muslims as friends or protectors unless it is for the purpose of using the non-Muslims to accomplish the goals of Islam. It is not a sin if Muslims "make taqiyya" – use deception – to protect themselves or Islam.
- Muslims must lie if it is the only way to achieve an obligatory goal of Islam, especially the maqasid al-sharia, the ultimate goal.
- The most important goal Muslims must achieve is to spread deen, the worship of Allah through Islam.
- It is sinful for Muslims to allow non-Muslims to look down on Muslims or Islam in any way.
- Finally, the purpose of ghayra violence [up to and including honor killing] is to al-amr bi al-ma’ruf wa al-nahy ‘an al-munkar – to enjoin good and forbid evil as defined by the moral rules of sharia.
Akbari provides some further critical context:
[sharequote align="center"]"[T]he ultimate goal of Islam is to contain, subjugate and eliminate all other religions"[/sharequote]
Muslims know that non-Muslims do not follow the moral rules of sharia, they follow the moral provisions of their religion or their law. Muslims also know non-Muslims do not understand the moral provisions of sharia, because understanding sharia moral provisions requires understanding the maqasid al-sharia, the goals of Islam. It does not benefit Muslims to inform non-Muslims of the maqasid so they could understand sharia because the ultimate goal of Islam is to contain, subjugate and eliminate all other religions so that all people everywhere follow Islam. Revealing this goal would only increase opposition among the most wicked of all creatures, those who resist Islam. It follows it is not in the interest of Muslims to reveal Islam’s connection to ghayra violence. To reveal this connection would alert non-Muslims to disparage Islam or Muslims and, at worst, might stimulate non-Muslims to resist Islam. The Muslims’ best course of action – the way that minimizes opposition to the spread of deen – is to deceive non-Muslims into believing Muslims follow the same moral ideas they follow. Only in that way will Islam not appear to threaten the moral and political order of koffar society.
Our conclusion is that deceiving non-Muslims about Islam’s connection to ghayra violence is obligatory, so non-Muslims will not perceive the difference between their morality and sharia and threaten the spread of deen. Good news again for our Muslim spokespeople! But of course, they knew this all the time. Now you do, too.
Be sure to check out our full in-depth with Mr. Akbari below:
Note: The links to the book in this post will give you an option to elect to donate a percentage of the proceeds from the sale to a charity of your choice. Mercury One, the charity founded by TheBlaze’s Glenn Beck, is one of the options. Donations to Mercury One go towards efforts such as disaster relief, support for education, support for Israel and support for veterans and our military. You can read more about Amazon Smile and Mercury One here.