Please verify

Blaze Media
Watch LIVE

No Shots Actually Fired After Early-Morning Scramble at Washington Navy Yard


"Shelter in place."

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 17: A man walks up to police officers at the front gate of the Washington Naval Yard September 17, 2013 in Washington, DC. Yesterday a defense contractor named Aaron Alexis allegedly killed at least 13 people during a shooting rampage at the Navy Yard before being killed by police. Credit: Getty Images

Update 11:20 a.m. ET: D.C. officials said at a news conference Thursday that response from law enforcement to the report of a shooter at Washington Navy Yard was positive and a good exercise.

Update 10:30 a.m. ET: D.C. Police said in an update that it found no evidence of a shooting or injured personnel after a call was made reporting the sound of possible gunfire at Washington Navy Yard Thursday morning.

Update 10:02 a.m. ET: FBI officials are the latest to come out with an "all clear" for Washington's Navy Yard after an initial report of an unconfirmed active shooter situation.


Update 9:45 a.m. ET: Right when it appeared that police activity was slowing down at Washington Navy Yard after initial reports of an unconfimed active shooter, local reports noted police storming another building. This was determined to be a maintenance worker doing his job on the roof of a nearby building.



Officials are, however, looking into surveillance video of two men jumping a fence.

A federal one who spoke on condition of anonymity told the Associated Press Navy security saw surveillance video of two people jumping the fence in the vicinity of the building a couple of minutes before the first report of gunfire.

A heavy police and fire department presence began blocks away from the Navy Yard, with roads blocked and a helicopter hovering overhead.

Security found no one inside the Navy Yard building, the official said.

Update 9:30 a.m. ET: An official said no shots were fired at Washington's Navy Yard Thursday morning, after an unconfirmed report of an active shooter prompted a lockdown and heavy response from law enforcement.



Update 9:01 a.m.ET: Though the U.S. Navy says the lockdown remains, local news reported that D.C. Fire and EMS was given an "all clear."



The lockdown was enacted after unconfirmed reports Thursday morning of shots being fired at Washington Navy Yard.


Update 8:57 a.m. ET: Though still no confirmation of an active shooter, the D.C. fire department told WUSA no injuries have been reported and all employees are accounted for.



Update 8:40 a.m. ET: Metropolitan police told CNN that Building 197 on Navy Yard's campus, the same building where a deadly shooting occurred in 2013, was being searched Thursday after unconfirmed reports of an active shooter.



Update 8:30 a.m. ET: Navy spokesman Petty Officer 1st Class Pedro Rodriguez said shots were reported in a building on the Washington Navy Yard campus Thursday morning and he confirmed a lockdown is underway.

He did not give information on injuries or other details though and the reports of an active shooter and shots fired still have yet to be confirmed.


Update 8:20 a.m. ET: According to local news reports, security officials said law enforcement is looking for two shooters after there were reports of shots fired on Washington Navy Yard's campus.


Original story as follows.

Police are responding to a report of an unconfirmed active shooter at Washington, D.C.'s Navy Yard Thursday morning.

According to WRC-TV, Metropolitan Police Department officers have blocked off roads near the base operated by the U.S. Navy.


According to an official tweet from the U.S. Navy, employees are on "lockdown/shelter in place. No incident can be confirmed as of yet."



The Washington Post noted that U.S. Park Police confirmed law enforcement response to a report of an active shooter at the the country's oldest naval installation.

Here are some other tweets about the situation.







Watch this live coverage from WUSA-TV:

The Washington Navy Yard was the site of a deadly mass shooting on Sept. 16, 2013, where 12 people were killed.

The gunman, military contractor Aaron Alexis, in the 2013 attack at Building 197 was fatally shot by police.

This is a developing story. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Most recent
All Articles