Photo by Mike Pont/WireImage
© 2023 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Sources close to the investigation into the lethal shooting on a movie set say that all criminal charges against actor Alec Baldwin will be dropped soon.
The development was first reported by Deadline.
Baldwin had been charged with involuntary manslaughter after the October 2021 shooting on the set of "Rust," a movie he starred in and produced. Baldwin shot live rounds out of a gun during rehearsal of a scene and shot both the cinematographer and the director. The 42-year-old cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, died while the director suffered only superficial wounds.
Attorneys for Baldwin confirmed the report via a statement to Deadline.
“We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident,” said Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro.
In his first interview after the shooting on Dec. 2021, Baldwin claimed that he had never pulled the trigger of the gun.
"The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger. I would never point a gun at someone and pull the trigger on them, never," said Baldwin at the time.
The actor settled a civil lawsuit alleging wrongful death by the family of the cinematographer in Oct. 2022. The armorer from the movie set is also facing charges, but those could be dismissed as well. Both she and Baldwin had pled not guilty to the charges.
Baldwin has earned the ire of many on the right after he used his social media platform to champion left-wing causes and bash conservatives. He also parodied former President Donald Trump for "Saturday Night Live" for the length of Trump's administration.
Here's more about the Baldwin shooting:
How Did Alec Baldwin Use DEADLY Prop Gun With Live Bullet? | The News & Why It Matters | Ep 890www.youtube.com
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!
Want to leave a tip?
We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Carlos Garcia is a staff writer for Blaze News.