Five people were found dead in a Denver, Colorado, apartment and a district attorney said they likely died from snorting cocaine that was laced with fentanyl.
Dan Marquez, the father to one of the victims, told KMGH-TV that his stepdaughter found the five victims dead after not having heard from his son, Sam.
"He’s 24. He loved his job; always talking about his job, talking about his new daughter. He loved his daughter," said Marquez.
According to friends of the victims, they believed they were ingesting cocaine, but it was laced with fentanyl.
29-year-old Cora, the daughter of Dan Marquez, survived and was hospitalized. His daughter-in-law Karina died, as well as his son-in-law and two of Karina's friends.
The baby found in the apartment was the newborn of Sam and Karina.
"It's terrifying to me," said district attorney Brian Mason told KUSA-TV. "This scene last night looked like a mass homicide scene."
Law enforcement authorities said they were actively investigating where the drugs came from and said they would aggressively prosecute anyone involved.
"Drug distributors and drug cartels are lacing everything with fentanyl right now. No drug is safe right now," said Mason.
Mason said penalties for fentanyl distribution should be raised in order to curb the overdose crisis.
"It is dangerous. It is lethal, and it is fast. And it is ravaging our community," he concluded.
KUSA reported that deaths related to fentanyl use in Colorado doubled in just one year from 2019 to 2020, the last year those statistics are available.
“Fentanyl’s no good, man,” said Marquez. “It’s the devil. It must of just took them just like that. All five of them."
Here's a local news report about the incident:
'It's the devil': Dad speaks out after son, several others found dead of likely fentanyl overdose www.youtube.com