Former FBI Director James Comey is reportedly under investigation by the Department of Justice over illegal leaks of confidential information during his tenure.
The investigation was reported by the New York Times on Thursday.
That report said investigators were probing whether Comey had anything to do with a leaked document suspected to be fabricated by the Russian government and obtained by Dutch intelligence officials. The Dutch provided it to the FBI while Comey was director.
The documented included an email detailing an alleged interaction between Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) and Leonard Benardo, an official of the George Soros funded Open Society Foundations.
That document helped Comey make the fateful decision to announce his refusal to charge then-candidate Hillary Clinton in July 2016.
The report from the New York Times added that the probe was "highly unusual" and could open the Department of Justice to accusations of political impartiality.
Former congressman Trey Gowdy criticized Comey for denying that he had leaked information during his time as FBI director.
"The other thing that I will tell you," Gowdy said to Tucker Carlson in 2018, "Tucker, that I learned tonight is Jim Comey has a definition of the word 'leak' that no on else has."
"What he says is a leak is what the rest of us call a felony," he added. "Leaking is disclosing a confidential conversation which is exactly what he did."
Here's a news video of previous claims against Comey:
- James Comey won't take full-time job before 2020 election because ... ›
- New report puts Andrew McCabe at direct odds with James Comey ... ›
- Trump's lawyer to file complaint against Comey for releasing Trump ... ›
- Comey admits he asked friend to leak Trump memo to NY Times ... ›
- James Comey is now being investigated by the Justice Department ... ›
- Report: A government watchdog referred former FBI Director James ... ›
- DOJ Won't Charge Comey For Leaking Memos | Talking Points Memo ›
- Justice Dept. Declined to Prosecute Comey Over Memos About Trump ›
- DOJ watchdog says James Comey broke FBI policy by keeping ›
- DOJ will not prosecute Comey for leaking memos after IG referral ... ›
- Justice Department won't prosecute Comey over leak of his memos ... ›
- James Comey's next reckoning is imminent — this time for leaking ... ›