Leftists blasted legendary quarterback Doug Flutie for daring to introduce Herschel Walker before the Republican's concession speech Tuesday night; Walker lost Georgia's U.S. Senate runoff election to Democrat Raphael Warnock.
Flutie called Walker "a buddy, a friend, a pal" and said the two have been "brothers for life for the last 40 years."
"I’m so proud of him, we’re all so proud of him [after] all he’s gone through and what he’s done," Flutie said of Walker. "He gave it everything he had from Day One, and he did it all for the right reasons. He cares about this state, and he cares about this country. One heck of a man — Herschel Walker."
Doug Flutie stands with Herschel Walkeryoutu.be
Fox News said Flutie and Walker were teammates in 1985 with the New Jersey Generals, a USFL team once owned by former President Donald Trump. Flutie also quarterbacked with a number of NFL teams.
Flutie made a permanent mark on football on Nov. 23, 1984 for his heart-stopping, Hail Mary touchdown pass that traveled over 60 yards as time expired, putting Boston College ahead of the defending national champion, the University of Miami, during its nationally televised game. Just one week later, Flutie won the Heisman Trophy, having set the NCAA all-time passing yardage mark, ESPN said.
Leftists pile on Flutie
Not surprisingly, leftists hit social media to bash Flutie for standing by Walker — even those who claimed to be fans of the quarterback suddenly tossed him aside:
- "Sad day for my great hometown of Natick" Alex Reimer — digital content producer for Audacy Sports and deputy managing editor for Outsports — lamented. "Time to pick a new townie hero." Flutie went to high school in the Massachusetts community.
- Writer-producer Krister Johnson tweeted, "This is like when he threw that incredible Hail Mary pass, except this time the 'football' is his legacy and the 'end zone' is a molten lava pit."
Others posted similar sentiments:
- "Well, there goes any respect I had for @DougFlutie ...." one Twitter user wrote.
- "Doug really hit rock bottom as a human being," another commenter claimed. "Wow."
- "Jeez, I used to like this guy..." another user said.
- "F*** Doug Flutie, f*** Herschel Walker, and f*** the amoral GOP," another commenter stated.