Another poll, another bleak outlook for President Joe Biden and the Democratic Party.
According to a new NBC News survey, the overwhelming majority of Americans believe the United States is headed in the wrong direction, Biden's job approval is underwater, and Vice President Kamala Harris is more unpopular than former President Donald Trump.
The most important findings from the survey include:
- 72% of respondents said the U.S. is headed "off on the wrong track," while just 22% said the U.S. is "headed in the right direction"
- 54% of respondents said they disapprove of Biden's job performance, while just 43% said they approve; Among registered voters, 54% disapprove while 44% approve
- Respondents said they disapprove of Biden's job performance on the economy (60% to 38%), the COVID-19 pandemic (53% to 43%), and foreign policy (54% to 37%
- Jobs and the economy are the issues most important to voters
- 81% of Americans believe 2021 was a "below-average year" or "one of the worst years" in American history
- 61% of respondents believe their income is "falling behind" the cost of living
- 70% of respondents resonate with the following statement: "America has become so deeply divided and politically polarized that our national government can no longer solve the major issues facing our country--and these differences will only continue to grow"
Meanwhile, the poll found that Harris is the most unpopular major politician asked about (receiving a favorability rating of -17%), while the Democratic Party was more unfavorable than the Republican Party (-15% to -10%).
Polling strategists who conducted the survey explained how the poll demonstrated a grim outlook for Democrats.
"Downhill, divided, doubting democracy, falling behind, and tuning out — this is how Americans are feeling as they're heading into 2022," Democratic pollster Jeff Horwitt of Hart Research Associates told NBC News.
"There is nothing but flashing red flights and warning signs for Democrats," added Republican pollster Bill McInturff of Public Opinion Strategies.