© 2023 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Two women shot during Chicago White Sox game. The team says it 'did not involve an altercation.'
Image credit: YouTube screenshot

Two women shot during Chicago White Sox game. The team says it 'did not involve an altercation.'

Two women were wounded in a shooting that took place at Guaranteed Rate Field on Friday night. The game was between the Chicago White Sox and the Oakland Athletics.

The shooting reportedly happened in the left field bleachers, per WLS-TV.

A 42-year-old woman was shot in the leg and soon taken to the University of Chicago hospital. She was reported to be in fair condition. And a 26-year-old woman suffered a graze wound in the abdomen, but she refused medical attention.

The Chicago Police Department immediately released a statement, writing: "Upon receiving notification of this incident, CPD responded immediately and deployed additional resources while coordinating with White Sox security to maintain the safety of those who were in attendance or working at the game. At no time was it believed there was an active threat."

"This information is still preliminary as Area One Detectives are investigating."

Shortly after the police statement was shared, the White Sox organization posted a statement of their own on X, stating: "Two fans attending Friday's game suffered non-life threatening injuries after being struck by bullets. It is unclear to investigators whether the shots were fired from outside or inside the ballpark. The incident continues to be investigated by Area One detectives from the Chicago Police Department. While the police continue to investigate, White Sox security confirms that this incident did not involve an altercation of any kind."

"The White Sox are thinking of the victims at this time and wishing them a speedy recovery."

WLS-TV reported that security guards at the game were seen speaking with people shortly after the incident. Some attendees allegedly said the shooting may have been started by an argument between two men. But the police have not confirmed these details.

The game was not interrupted due to the incident, but the post-show Vanilla Ice and Tone Loc concert was canceled due to "technical difficulties."

The fans were apparently frustrated by the cancellation of the concert.

One attendee said "[t]here was supposed to be a free concert after the game, they came and announced right after the game that it had been canceled. They didn't give any information. Everyone started booing, going crazy, and saying derogatory things."

"Then about five minutes later they put up a note on the screen saying it was canceled due to technical issues. Everyone booed, no one was leaving. Some people said they should storm the field. Then the whole crowd started chanting, 'Sell the team!'"

The White Sox suffered a brutal 12-4 loss to the Oakland A's.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Witness describes shooting at White Sox gamewww.youtube.com

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?