Sadly, fireworks were not the only munitions shot over the July 4 weekend. Statues weren’t the only things felled by anarchists and criminals roaming free in the streets. This weekend was a bloody one across the country, with endless shootings in America’s cities, including New York City, which was considered the safest American city for a generation. Once again, African-American victims, including a number of young children, paid the price while the anarchy was excused and even legitimized by the media and politicians.
Here are just a few of the tragic stories that should spur a greater revolution for law and order if we actually had an alternative political party pressing the issue.
- Secoriea Turner, an 8-year-old girl, was murdered while in the car with her mother near the burned-out Wendy’s in Atlanta, the site of the Rayshard Brooks shooting, which has had the effect of sidelining the police. Three were killed and 20 injured in shooting stemming from the unrest in the area. According to Atlanta police, murders are up 86% over 28 days last month compared to the same time last year. Aggravated assaults increased by 22% and burglaries by 14%.
- Royta Giles Jr., an 8-year-old boy, was murdered at a Birmingham mall while with his parents at the food court. Three other innocent people, including another child, were wounded in the shooting.
- Jace Young, a 6-year-old boy, was watching fireworks Saturday night with his family in San Francisco when he was gunned down. No arrests have been made, but in a city that heralds criminals and criminalizes the police, I’d be shocked if the perpetrator wasn’t a career criminal let out of jail.
- Philadelphia, just like San Francisco, has a leftist prosecutor who has released a number of criminals and refuses to prosecute gun felons. Just like in San Francisco, a 6-year-old was gunned down in a senseless murder over the weekend.
- A 7-year-old Chicago girl was shot and killed on July 4 while playing in her back yard. In total, 70 were shot and 14 were killed over the July 4 weekend in the war zone we call Chicago.
- Also in Chicago, last week, a career criminal was charged with shooting two teens to death at a candy store. The man was sentenced to probation 18 months ago for a gun felony, despite his prior record, and got no jail time, which allowed him to remain on the streets to allegedly commit this double murder.
- On Friday, New York City police arrested a 35-year-old man for allegedly slashing a 2-year-old boy in the face while he was sitting in a stroller earlier last week in Manhattan.
- On Saturday, Davon McNeal, 11, was visiting family in southwest Washington, D.C., when he was killed in a drive-by shooting.
- Last week, a black mother and her unborn twins were killed when she was attacked by her former boyfriend in Mansfield, Texas, in a carjacking. The suspect had a criminal record.
- Also, over the weekend, a black male was caught on camera in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, randomly getting out of his car and knocking out a 12-year-old boy. In this case, the boy was white. Yet, for some reason, there is no soft bigotry of low expectations in this country that everyone who happens to share his shade of skin will riot against anyone who happens to be of the same race as this criminal.
While we still don’t have information on most of the suspects, it’s quite obvious that between the jailbreak agenda in the justice system and the criminalization of the police, there is simply no deterrent against violent crime. Shootings in New York City have soared 205% in June, making it the bloodiest month since 1996 – before the great New York crime miracle. Milwaukee has experienced a 132% increase in homicides, with 86 this year compared to the 37 at this point last year, which is the worst pace of annual homicides since 1991. So far this year, black people account for 77% of homicide victims in Chicago, even though they only compose one-third of the city’s population.
I have been fighting a lonely battle since 2014 warning that we were reversing the generation-long trend of reduced crime through jailbreak policies. Yet rather than Republicans pushing this narrative, they joined the Soros bandwagon, suggesting we have an over-incarceration problem and that somehow the system is too tough. Who are they kidding? Just take a look at some recent cases that haven’t been widely reported in the news.
- Last week, Peter Mallory, a convicted pedophile who, in 2012 was sentenced to 1,000 years in prison in Georgia, was placed on parole. In 2012, the judge called him “probably the most prolific collector of child pornography in the entire world.” The last time I checked, 2020 minus 2012 doesn’t equal 1,000, but that is the criminal justice math being used in our system that is too lenient by a mile.
- Luis Torres, 21, was convicted of stabbing a mall employee in 2017 in Syracuse, New York. He was released from prison after just two years. Several months later he violated his parole, but was only re-incarcerated for a short period of time. Last month, just nine days after being sprung from prison, Torres was arrested for the rape of a 14-year-old girl.
- Anthony Smith was supposed to be serving 25 years for felony murder in Connecticut. But like so many criminals these days, he was placed in a halfway house, where he supposedly returned to dealing drugs. Now he is accused of raping a woman. When he was arrested, he was found 58 bags of crack cocaine in his bottom.
Sleazy politicians in both parties never spend time talking to victims of crime. They parade around with criminals on TV and decry how mean the justice system is, when any sane citizen knows that it is immorally lenient and that it’s getting worse every day. Then they have the nerve to suggest that they are doing all of this to protect black lives!
Well, Mr. President, it’s not too late to return to an agenda of law and order, stiffening penalties on repeat violent offenders and parole violators, and defending victims of crime from the anarchist mob. That is the true way to protect black lives – not supporting the agenda of a racist, anti-Semitic, and violent organization that gives itself an Orwellian and mellifluous-sounding name.