The incident became racially charged because the victim was black and the two men chasing him are white.
Gregory McMichael and his son, Travis McMichael, admit that they chased Arbery on the day of Feb. 23, but said that they believed him to be a burglar that had been robbing homes in their neighborhood.
After Arbery tried to run away, the two men cornered him again and shot him during an altercation. He died at the scene.
Arvery's family say he was just out jogging for exercise.
The two men were not arrested for two months until a very graphic video was released showing the incident.
Here's the graphic video [caution]:
Video appearing to show killing of black jogger Ahmaud Arbery sparks outrage www.youtube.com
On Thursday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced that they had arrested both men for the murder of 25-year-old Arbery.
Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr released a statement after they were arrested.
"Gregory and Travis McMichael have been arrested this evening for aggravated assault and the murder of Ahmaud Arbery. We are grateful the Georgia Bureau of investigation has taken quick and decisive action," the statement read.
"This tragedy cannot be undone, but this is the first step in what I am confident will be a swift road to justice," he added.
Here's more about the lethal incident:
Protests continue for justice in Ahmaud Arbery's killing in Georgia www.youtube.com
- Ahmaud Arbery: Video emerges of black jogger killed by 2 white ... ›
- Video appears to show Georgia man shot while jogging; lawyers call ... ›
- Kemp calls Arbery killing “horrific;” says Georgians deserve answers ›
- Ahmaud Arbery's Killing Will Go to Grand Jury as Graphic Video ... ›
- Ahmaud Arbery's family calls for immediate arrests in his death ... ›