Recently released documents suggest that freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) married Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, a man who is possibly her own brother, to sidestep immigration laws, according to a
Star Tribune report.
The investigative documents, released following a state probe into alleged campaign finance violations, showed that Omar filed joint tax returns in 2014 and 2015 with her current husband, Ahmed Hirsi, while she was legally married to Elmi, the Star Tribune reported.
The new documents, outline in the Star Tribune report, also detail the following marriage timeline:
- In 2002, Omar, 19, married Hirsi, 22 — with whom she has two children — in "faith tradition," but they do not marry legally.
- In 2008, Omar and Hirsi divorce — not legally — in their faith tradition.
- In 2009, Omar, 26, legally marries Elmi, 23.
- In 2011, Omar and Elmi divorce in "faith tradition," but do not divorce legally until 2017.
- In 2012, Omar reunites with Hirsi, and they have a third child together
- In 2014-15, Omar files joint tax returns with Hirsi while she is still legally married to Elmi.
- In 2017, Omar and Elmi divorce legally.
- In 2018, Omar is elected to Congress, and she legally marries Hirsi.
On Tuesday's radio program, Glenn Beck broke down the details of the report and talked about the way the story has essentially been ignored by the mainstream media.
"Now, see if this sounds like a big story to you. A current member of Congress may have married her brother for immigration purposes and tax purposes, and then lied about it. The same member of Congress also clearly violated federal and state tax law," Glenn said.
"The immunity here is apparently off the charts because the mainstream media will not go near this story," he added. "It's not that they don't care, because they would care if it was anybody else. They are making a conscious choice to stay away from this story."
Watch the video below for more details:
Want more from Glenn Beck?
To enjoy more of Glenn's masterful storytelling, thought-provoking analysis and uncanny ability to make sense of the chaos, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution and live the American dream.
- 'It's over': New EVIDENCE supports allegations of Ilhan Omar's 'extensive spree' of felonies - TheBlaze ›