Fox News host Megyn Kelly fired back at presidential candidate Donald Trump Monday, refusing to apologize for the questions she asked him at last week's Republican debate.
"You may have heard there was a dust up involving yours truly and presidential contender Donald Trump," Kelly said at the outset of her program. "Mr. Trump was upset with a question I asked him at the debate last week about his electability and specifically comments he has made in the past about women."
"A few words on that," she continued. "Apparently, Mr. Trump thought the question I asked was unfair and felt I was attacking him. I felt he was asked a tough, but fair question. We agree to disagree."
Kelly said that she would not respond to personal attacks Trump had made on her. In one case, the real estate tycoon suggested the Fox News host pressed him at the GOP debate because she was menstruating.
"Mr. Trump did interviews over the weekend that attacked me personally. I've decided not to respond," Kelly said.
"Mr. Trump is an interesting man who has captured the attention of the electorate. That's why he is leading in the polls. Trump, who is the frontrunner, will not apologize. And I certainly won't apologize for doing good journalism," she added.
"So I'll continue doing my job without fear or favor," Kelly concluded. "And Mr. Trump will continue with what has been a successful campaign thus far. This is a tough business and it's time now to move forward. And now, let's get back to the news."
Earlier in the evening, Fox News chairman and CEO Roger Ailes revealed details about a phone call he had with Trump.
“We discussed our concerns, and I again expressed my confidence in Megyn Kelly. She is a brilliant journalist and I support her 100 percent,” he said. “I assured him that we will continue to cover this campaign with fairness & balance. We had a blunt but cordial conversation and the air has been cleared.”
Follow the author of this story on Twitter and Facebook: