Chick-fil-A employee saves the life of choking customer — and it was all caught on video

Chick-fil-A employee saves the life of choking customer — and it was all caught on video
Image source: TheBlaze

An employee at an Austin, Texas, Chick-fil-A restaurant perhaps saved a life of one of its male patrons after the man began choking during a meal Saturday evening.

What are the details?

Surveillance video of the restaurant in South Austin captured the moment when a male diner wearing a white ballcap stood up, gesticulating toward his throat — there was no question that he had begun choking.

A female patron from a nearby table rushed over to assist the choking man, and introduced several stomach thrusts from behind in an apparent attempt to dislodge from the man’s throat whatever it was that was preventing him from breathing.

Other restaurant patrons began to look concerned as the woman continued her stomach thrusts to no avail, and a male employee rushed out to help the woman assisting the choking man by successfully performing the Heimlich Maneuver.

The employee, named by KXAN-TV as Hunter Harris — who is a certified employee trainer with the company, according to the station — was able to dislodge the food from the man’s throat.

The patron became visibly relaxed after Harris’s successful maneuver, and toward the end of the tense video, business at the South Austin restaurant quickly resumed to normal.

What did the employee say?

“It was a very intense situation, and I was relieved once it happened,” Harris said, according to KXAN. “I knew there was nothing to be said between me and him. I did what I needed to do and he was OK, and I just came back and continued my work.”

The station reported that the patron continued eating his meal after the incident and the restaurant simply carried on.

This wasn’t even Harris’s first rodeo — he assisted another person who was choking during his time working with the South Austin restaurant, which is owned by his father.