House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called the latest bad report on the economy an "aberration" and dodged a reporter's question about how it would effect the midterm election.
"Is this going to have any effect on the 2022 election come November, the midterms?" asked the reporter.
"Well, the – I think this is an aberration," responded Pelosi.
"There are plenty other statistics and analyses that have said this is an aberration, and there are many other factors that show that we have growth in our near future," she continued. "But what we're worried about is what it means to the kitchen table, again, not to the election, but to the kitchen table of America's working families."
Pelosi then spouted off a list of what she touted as President Joe Biden's accomplishments without answering whether economic worries would disadvantage Democrats in the election.
"This is a President that has, under his leadership, eight million jobs – eight million jobs in one year. Again, a large part of that comes from the private sector. We respect that," she said.
"And again, when that happens – inflation goes up when you have unemployment going down. As we said, when you have supply chain issues, costs go up because supply goes down," she added.
In addition to the economic shrinkage, the stock market continued to nosedive at the close of market on Friday. The Nasdaq index plummeted by an astounding 4.2% just on Friday, extending its losses and marking its worst month in 14 years.
Here's the video of Pelosi's comments:
Speaker Pelosi Holds Weekly Briefing On Capitol Hill | NBC News www.youtube.com
- Steve Forbes slams Biden's 'war' on the economy after another ... ›
- As Inflation indicator hits 40-year high, Manchin mocks the idea that ... ›
- Economists warn inflation coming at levels not seen in decades: 'Our ... ›
- 'It basically just dropped off a cliff': Analysts fear major trucking ... ›
- Nate Silver buries narrative that the media is hiding Biden's great ... ›
- Jennifer Rubin is getting hammered on social media for saying ... ›
- Western nations isolate Russia's economy by kicking them out of ... ›
- MSNBC's Chuck Todd dismisses Americans' economic woes under ... ›
- Ghost of stagflation haunts Biden economy as GDP decreases in Q1 ... ›