Please verify

Blaze Media
Watch LIVE

New York security guard in critical condition after being shot in back of head during​ high school football game: Report

Image credit: YouTube screenshot

A security guard is reportedly in critical condition after he was shot in the back of the head while trying to break up a fight during a high school football game.

The Independent reported that shots were fired after 4:00 p.m. on Saturday in a parking lot outside Thomas R. Proctor High School in Utica, New York.

The authorities said the football game, between Proctor High School and Binghamton High School, was in its final moments when a fight broke out in a parking lot outside the stadium.

Two security guards attempted to break up the fight, but one of the guards was reportedly struck in the back of the head by a bullet. He was subsequently rushed to the hospital and remains in critical condition, according to police statement released on Facebook.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested after the shooting and charged with attempted murder. The authorities claimed that the suspect is not a student at either of the high schools that took part in the football game but that he is a current student enrolled in an alternative educational program.

The altercation reportedly broke out after a security guard attempted to turn a group away from the varsity football game just moments before the shooting, according to Mark Williams, Utica police chief.

“He suspected that something wasn’t right with this group and he refused to lead into the stadium,” he said.

While the stadium was equipped with metal detectors that would have detected any firearms, the security guard turned the group away before any firearm was detected, per the report.

No motive has yet been established, but it is believed that it could have been gang-related. The authorities also believe there was only a single gunman, but this has not been confirmed.

Officials at the school canceled on-campus activities on Sunday and all after-school activities on Monday. They also noted counseling would be available for students if needed.

The police statement said: "The Utica Police Department Major Crimes Unit has been assigned the case, and currently pouring [sic] through surveillance and social media videos in order to develop suspect and other information about the incident."

"We would also be remiss if we did not mention the heroics of this security officer and the others who attempted to break up the fight and put themselves in harm’s way so the spectators and students watching the game were not in danger."

Shooting after a football game at Utica Proctor High Schoolwww.youtube.com

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Most recent
All Articles