A Washington Post report said that the Biden administration was caught off guard by the leak showing the Supreme Court was primed to overturn Roe v. Wade, and officialsare panicked about their inability to stop it.
“A lot of what the Biden administration could do would be window dressing, in that ultimately we’re going to have a system of conflicting access to reproductive health and rights depending upon the state you live in,” said Georgetown health law expert Lawrence Gostin. “And there’s very little that Biden can do about that.”
Many Democrats have called for abortion rights to be codified into law by Congress, but that effort is dependent on all Democrats voting in unison to shut down the filibuster. Both Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) have said they would not support the congressional maneuver.
The report said the administration was debating numerous executive and regulatory measures to defend abortion rights, but most of those efforts would likely be doomed if they were challenged and decided in the Supreme Court.
“Every single thing they do is going to get legally challenged, and every lawyer agrees,” said one outside adviser. “A bunch of attorneys general will mobilize, and [the administration] will lose.”
While many on the right are applauding the report that the court might overturn the landmark abortion decision, they are angered that someone apparently tried to intimidate the court by leaking the draft report.
A defiant statement from Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts assured whoever was culpable that the court would not be influenced by the unprecedented leak.
"To the extent this betrayal of the confidences of the Court was intended to undermine the integrity of our operations, it will not succeed. The work of the Court will not be affected in any way," Roberts said.
Here's more about the Supreme Court leak:
Will SCOTUS Leak REALLY Lead to 'BLUE WAVE' Left Is Hoping For? | The News & Why It Matters | 5/4/22 www.youtube.com
- Supreme Court lets lawsuit against Texas fetal heartbeat law ... ›
- Liberal editor downright bullies comedian Jamie Kennedy for ... ›
- Abortion advocates in panic mode as Supreme Court signals it may ... ›
- Liberal writer deletes Twitter account after astoundingly racist tweet ... ›
- Biden says abortion should be codified into federal law. But he once ... ›
- Numerous Democrats call for an end to the filibuster to codify Roe v ... ›
- Mark Levin says Supreme Court Roe v. Wade leak is 'grave assault ... ›
- Whoopi Goldberg rails against possible Roe v. Wade overturn ... ›
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg blamed for potential overturn of Roe v. Wade ... ›