Republican state Rep. Bryan Slaton of Texas followed through on a June 6 pledge to address the subjection of children subjected to "inappropriate sexual content by adults," in response to an event he deemed "horrifying" and demonstrative of a "disturbing trend in which perverted adults are obsessed with sexualizing children."
The event that prompted Slaton to take action took place on June 4 at the Dallas gay bar Mr. Misster.
In a daytime transvestite event entitled “Drag the kids to pride,” children were invited to join performers on stage. Transvestites danced with and for the kids in attendance. Inside the bar was a neon sign that said “It’s not going to lick itself” and “I licked it so it’s mine.”
Protesters gathered outside, including members of the organization Protect Texas Kids, who seek to combat the “toxic, indoctrinating agenda of the left.” One sign read “Stop grooming the kids.” Another read "confuse a child, abuse a child."
A protester named Dasy told WFAA, “I don’t believe that I should be seeing signs advertising for children to be dancing on stage with men in thongs and in inappropriate clothing and makeup.”
Organizers of the event released a statement accusing the protesters of “yelling homophobic threats, transphobic remarks and vile accusations at these children and parents.”
Queerty highlighted comments made by one of the transvestites involved in the event, who wrote: "The children of today are our future & they will continue to break down these stereotypical, heteronormativity barriers that uneducated swines like you normalize. Drag queens and the gay culture is as main stream as it has ever been. And we're just going to keep pushing forward."
Following the event, Slaton pledged to introduce a bill barring minors from drag shows and also urged Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar to hold the organizers of the Mr. Misster event accountable, suggesting that they had violated Chapter 102 of the Texas Business Code prohibiting minors from being present at sexually explicit events. The code states: "A sexually oriented business may not allow an individual younger than 18 years of age to enter the premises of a business."
On August 4, Slaton suggested that "Hegar can hold the organizers responsible today ... to protect Texas families and ensure all business are following the law."
The next day, Hegar announced that his office "had already begun the process of investigating this specific event." In his statement, Hegar noted that "the images [of the event] circulating are certainly inconsistent with our Texas values."
Upon learning that the requested investigation was under way, Slaton thanked Hegar on August 8 "for demonstrating strong leadership on this important issue." He suggested further that "Texans deserve elected officials who will stand up for our children's innocence ... Texas should not tolerate the sexualization and exploitation of children."