© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Congratulations! The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has named President Donald Trump the world's top leader in undermining global press freedom. According to the CPJ, the president's nefarious new title was based on the following criteria:
- President Trump undermines the press and embolden's world leaders by using the term "fake news."
- The DOJ failed to give guidelines intended to protect journalists' sources.
- The State Department threatened to cut funds for international free speech groups.
But does Trump really deserve to be called the world's top media oppressor? Sara Gonzales is here to answer that question and take a look at the freedom of the press in other countries around the world.
For example, did you know:
- In Russia, at least 50 journalists have been murdered after criticizing the government.
- In Turkey, President Erdoğan shut down more than 150 news outlets and threw all the reporters in jail after a failed coup attempt.
- In the Philippines, President Duterte called on citizens to murder journalists, which they did in at least three separate cases.
- In Iran, the government regularly throws journalists and family members in jail or "makes them disappear" for writing stories that criticize the Iranian regime.
"Do I even need to mention North Korea? Or how about China?" asked Sara, adding, "But apparently, all of this pales in comparison to what Trump has done."
Watch the video above to hear the full story.
To see more from Sara, visit the “Contributors” channel on TheBlaze.
Want to leave a tip?
We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
News, opinion, and entertainment for people who love the American way of life.